Santorini is a beautiful island in Greece, known for its stunning sunset. There are a lot of things to do in Santorini and enjoying the sunset is one of these. Santorini’s sunset enters your soul and lives there forever. Each spot shows you the best sunset with its own colors and landscape. This is pure magic! I spent a whole week in Santorini discovering every corner of this little gem of the Aegean, and I prepared myself pretty well, searching for the best places from which you can enjoy a breathtaking sunset. If you want to be accompanied by a soft music, listen to my top songs for sunset! 😉 Here is my list.
1) Oia village. This village is a few km from Fira. Its sunset is very famous in the world. The beauty of this village with white houses lies in a spectacular location on a cliff, at the edge of the breathtaking Caldera. Have you ever seen a color palette? Well, Oia is just that: a palette in shades of colors. The sunset enhances its beauty.
TIP: I recommend you to arrive earlier (before 17 pm) to grab the best location to enjoy the sunset. The crowd of travelers flock even in the atmospheric alleyways full of craft shops and restaurants. I was very lucky. I found old deck chairs on a terrace that looked almost abandoned. I sat down waiting for the sunset. After a while, the owners came up the stairs for a cocktail at sunset. Know what? They invited me to stay. We shared a nice time together. Yes I know, I was lucky, but you try to avoid it 😉
2) Skaros Rock at Imerovigli. The ruins of the Venetian castle Skaros are another good spot for sunset. Skaros was a fortress originally known as “Epano Kastro”. During a 19th-century earthquake the castle was destroyed and today there are only ruins. Here the landscape is incredible. At sunset, the castle looks like a dark fortress illuminated by the red light of the sunset of Santorini. Near the rock there is also the lovely little Chapel of Theoskepasti, facing the Caldera.
TIP: Hiking enthusiasts will love this route to reach the castle. It is 10 minutes climbing to the top. Remember to bring water, it can be tiring especially in summer when it is hot. Even the wind could make your walk difficult to reach.
3) Fira. It is the capital of Santorini full of life. One of the best places to watch the sunset is in front of the Orthodox Cathedral.
4) The Akrotiri lighthouse. I love the lighthouses, because I love the whole atmosphere around these buildings. This lighthouse has something unique in its kind. It is located at south of the island and in 1892 it was renovated by a French trading company.
6) Franco’s Cafè – Bar. Kasteli, Castelli, Pyrgos. A very nice bar in Pyrgos, where you can enjoy the sunset accompanied by a classical music. Try to go at least an hour before sunset to make sure to sit down in the firsts row. I unfortunately did not succeed, but the experience is equally unique.
NOTE: There is also another Franco’s Bar, but it is in Fira. Don’t confuse the location!
7) Santo Wines Winery. Enjoy a wonderful sunset drinking a good wine (or more than one) and eating many types of cheese. Santo Wines Winery is a must for wines lovers and sunset makes this moent really magical! You can also taste different cheeses.
8) Cafè del mar in Fira. Do not to confuse it with the Café del mar e sol (which is in the beach of Perivolos). I recommend this place especially to the young and posh people. The Caldera view is stunning. The price of coktails is expensive (€14), but the bar is really nice. I chose a coke.
9) Apartments, Villas and Studios. Do you love your privacy? Enjoy the sunset from a Studio or Villa. There are a lot of studios, depending on your budget. Just make sure to choose the room where you can really enjoy the sunset from.
10) Santorini’s alleys. Narrow alleys with typical restaurants and bars, hidden spots, windmills and white houses who change their own colors at sunset, but all of them look at the Caldera.
You can enjoy Santorini’s sunset from a lot of spots. Just follow your mood and inspiration.
Which is your favourite sunset spot?