Taormina is one of the most charming towns in the world. It is a place not to miss if you are in Sicily and if you want to be enchanted by the charm of nature and medieval history at the same time. It is a real gem set in a Sicilian heaven. Taormina is a pleasant place to spend a day although it is not cheap. I wrote about the most romantic Taormina restaurants where you can celebrate a special moment of your life, and most of all are included in the medium high category. Here is a list of traditional Taormina restaurants, where you can try Sicilian cuisine without spending a fortune.
TIP: every time I go to Taormina I have dinner in other places. Generally all the restaurants are a bit expensive. If you want to save some money you can have dinner in Castelmola, which is another lovely town near Taormina or in Catania (if you chose to stay here). Here prices are more affordable. Then be careful with the price of wine bottles and beverage! They soar!
Here are my favourite 7 traditional restaurants in Taormina to taste local cuisine. 🙂
1. TIRAMISÚ TRATTORIA. Via Apollo Arcageta 9. Website.Although this restaurant is near Porta Catania the atmosphere is intimate and cozy. There is a lovely veranda where you can enjoy your meal. Food is excellent and plentiful. Price is about €40-50 per person for 2 starters, a first and a second, a dessert and wine. However, if you are with another person I recommend to choose 2 main courses and one second course to share with your friend or a starter and 2 main courses. In this way you will pay even less than €40. Prawns and linguine with clams are really good. I also tasted eggplant rolls with tuna and almonds. Photo courtesy of Tiramisù Trattoria.
2. ROSSOPEPERONCINO. Vico Sacramento 2bis. Website.This is one of my favourite Taormina restaurants together with Tiramisù Restaurant. The atmosphere is peaceful. The restaurant is classy and out from the horde of tourists in Taormina. It is located in one of the alleys. Outside tables are set in the garden, giving the place a really romantic touch. Price is approximately €40 per person including drinks. The quality/price ratio is good. Salad of oranges and onions is yummy! I tasted parmesan swordfish (it is a starter but I chose to eat it as a second course) and a pie with warm heart of pistachio cream (it is called “tortino al cuore caldo” in Italian and I love it especially when there is dark chocolate cream inside). Portions are less abundant than other restaurants I mentioned in this list. Photo courtesy of Rossopeperoncino.
3. TRATTORIA DON CICCIO.The restaurant is located just behind the Cathedral of Taormina. It’s very simple furnishings. It is often crowded so you should book in advance. Starters are good but not excellent. Tagliatelle with squid, octopus salad, cod fillet with seafood were tasty. Approximately €30 per person. Photo courtesy of Don Ciccio Restaurant.
4. TAVERNA AL PALADINO. Via Naumachia 21. Website. This restaurant is located in one of the alleys of Taormina. Taste the salad of oranges and olives, it is really good. Here you can enjoy traditional Sicilian cuisine. Swordfish parmigiana, ravioli with pistachio and swordfish and ravioli with ricotta and pistachio sauce are really yummy! Approximately €30 per person. Photo courtesy of Taverna Al Paladino.
5. AL GIARDINO. Via Bagnoli Croci 84. Website.This restaurant is very simple furnishings. Fettuccine with pistachio, pesto and shrimp, and swordfish rolls with raisins are really good. Taste also croquetas ricotta with honey from Etna! Good quality/price ratio. Approximately €50-60 for 2 starters, 2 first or second, sometimes sweet, water and 1 glass of wine. You can also choose only one starter.
6. L’INCONTRO. Via Luigi Pirandello, 20. Website.This Taormina restaurant is not located in the main street of the town and it’s not a tourist trap. The portions are generous. Here I tasted the gnocchi with butter and sage, ravioli with fish, swordfish rolls and tuna steak with pistachio. So yummy! The price for 2 courses and drinks is approximately €25 per person. The restaurant has also a terrace overlooking the sea.
7. MALVASIA.Via Apollo Arcageta 8.It is located near “Porta Catania”. Linguine with seafood, and shellfish ravioli and pistachio are good. Price approximately €30 for 2 courses and water.
This article has been required by a Travellector‘s fan who is going to travel to Taormina. I confess that the best Sicilian food is what you can taste at Sicilians’ houses. Every time I go to a restaurant I always find something which is not perfect at 100%. I think it is normal or I am too finicky. My mother and my grandmother cook divinely. They are great teachers to me 🙂
If you were in Taormina right now, which of these Taormina restaurants would you like to try?